Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Inspected by A-12345

(from http://www.qclabels.com/)

Every so often, I find a slip of paper in a new pair of jeans that reads "Inspected by 12" (or something similar). Then I realize that someone, or multiple someones, inspected this product for some level of quality before it was shipped.

What if you looked at the help menu entry for a particular feature and it would tell you who tested it? What do you think you'd notice? Would you attribute the good or bad quality of that feature with that tester's ability? If you were that tester, would you feel pride in a job well done?

I feel somewhat like I'm living 3Ms motto, "We don't make the products you use, we make the products you use better".

2 comments:

Joe said...

Other than a visible notification that "someone claims to have tested something at some point in time", I see no value in such a label.

I understand that this is supposed to instill confidence. But call me a skeptic - if I don't know what they actually did, knowing who did it doesn't seem important to me.

Robert Watkins said...

Sure, it's a bit over the top. I'm reminded of "Tommy Boy"



Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?


Putting a "Inspected By"note is not much different than a 'Guarantee', so how else do we instill confidence regarding the quality of the product that can be observed prior to actually using the product?