Monday, May 07, 2012

Influence


My boss handed me a book and told me. "Here is a gift for you. Let me know when you are done, so I can borrow it." He has recommended other books before (both work-related and otherwise) and hasn't steered me wrong.

In short, this is an excellent book for anyone that wants to avoid traps of persuasion and understand how others can be effectively persuaded. The author of the book takes his training as a PhD in Psychology as well as some experiences he's gained in preparation for this topic and puts together a wonderful story of the science and practice of influence.

In the book, you'll learn:
  • Why social obligations can seem so burdensome (and why we participate in this activity anyway)
  • How we find ourselves agreeing to do something we have told ourselves we wouldn't do.
  • Why 'the crowd' is so powerful in influencing what we do (and do not) do.
  • How many times we are influenced and not even aware of the influence.
It's an excellent read full of fun stories and deep insight. I hope you'll take the time to read the book as it will help in nearly every aspect of your life. :)

No comments: